Friday, February 25, 2011

Inspired by a Ballard Design Shelf

I love Ballard Designs.  I get so excited to find the new magazine in the mailbox and can't wait to browse through it for ideas.  I love these shelves, but they are just a little too pricey for my wallet!

I've seen a couple others make these and  figured I should just give it a shot.  Here's the low down on how we made ours.  We purchased...
{1} 10 ft piece of pine,
{1} 4ft piece of pine,
{2} 10ft pieces of crown molding and
{8} corbels all at Home Depot and I already had the white paint.

The corbels were by far were the most expensive because we purchased so many, but this project came in well under $100.  These were so easy.  All we did was use gorilla glue and a nail gun to attach the molding onto the pine boards.
After that we filled the holes with filler and lightly sanded the tops of the boards.
We already had the chalkboard in place with thin molding framing it.  I had previously made the chalkboard out of  thin hardboard and painted it with chalkboard paint.  We leveled, measured and adjusted so the shelves would hang right where we wanted them over the desk then started the installation. 

However, the corbels were another story.  My husband was leaving the following morning for the fire station and wanted to make sure they {corbels} were anchored good so he installed those before I got them painted. {That's what happens when your man is a fireman and is trying to help you get to a point that you can finish alone while he goes to work for the next 24hrs} 



This shelf project took us an afternoon to put them together and get them hung.  I painted & sealed the next day by myself while he was gone. I used Valspar crystal clear sealer so the tops wouldn't wind up looking dirty and scuffed up.  By the way, the desk area below was inspired by Pottery Barn.  Now I think I would like to get a new lamp and possibly a couple of new chairs, but for now this is what we have and it's so great to have all that stuff stored neatly and not scattered on the top of the desk!  ~See Ya! 

WooHoo!  I was featured at  somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.  I hope you'll go check out her blog!

Linking up to...






 
Read more: http://www.trickiezone.com/2013/03/pinterest-pin-it-button-on-image-hover.html#ixzz2RrfdAtMl